Tuesday, July 28, 2009

R is for Roachmill


I have a small confession to make on this one… as much as I like today's character, he wasn’t my first choice for « R ». I actually wanted to use Rorschach from The Watchmen, but I thought that would be kind of redundant, seeing as how Alan Moore patterned him after the Question, the previous post. So… on to Roachmill !

The deadly, four-armed mercenary exterminator Roachmill, created by Rich Hedden and Tom McWeeney, has got to be one of the most off-the-wall, original comic book characters to ever see print. Irreverent, cartoony, yet also kind of spooky and dark at the same time, the world of Roachmill was a strange mix of Blade Runner and Looney Tunes, with some Road Warrior thrown in for good measure. It was one of my favorite black and white comics, with energetic, exaggerated art by the talented  Tom McWeeney, who used Zip-A-Tone and solid blacks better than just about any cartoonist out there. I miss that book.

No comments: